Hospitality/Culinary Arts Associate of Arts Degree
The Hospitality/Culinary Arts Associate of Arts Degree is designed to prepare students for fast-growing industry that includes commercial restaurants, institutions, health care facilities, school food services, and related food service industries at the middle management level. Skills gained from this certificate include basic to advanced techniques in food preparation, middle-management implementation, and entrepreneurship skills. Students will also be prepared to build and manage diverse teams. To graduate with a specialization in Hospitality/Culinary Arts, students must complete all requirements for the certificate plus the general breadth requirements for the Associate Degree (minimum total = 60 units)
|BUSAD 110||Human Resource Management||3|
|Required Hospitality Management Courses:|
|HOSP 100||Introduction to Hospitality and Customer Service||3|
|HOSP 120||Hospitality Cost Control||3|
|HOSP 130||Hospitality Food and Beverage Management Management||3|
|HOSP 140||Introduction to Hotel Management||3|
|HOSP 160||Culinary Production and Kitchen Operations||3|
|Required Culinary Arts Courses:|
|CULART 010||Restaurant Service and Catering I||6|
|CULART 011||Restaurant Service and Catering II||6|
|or CULART 012||Food Truck Restaurant and Catering Services|
|CULART 080||Small Business and Catering Management||6|
|CULART 161||Quantity Food Preparation||3|
|CULART 225||Sanitation and Safety||3|
|CULART 240||Procurement, Purchasing and Selection||3|
|CULART 250||Wine, Beverage, and Food Pairings||3|
To earn an SBVC Associate Degree students must complete one of the following general education patterns:
Program Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to use a knife and the basic knife cuts.
- Calculate food costs as it applies to menus by pricing a menu as part of the final in this course.
- Explain optimal quantity, and the price and standard specifications of ordering.
- Recall the top five problems that the restaurant industry encounters.
- Recall how to derive the “Break-even Point” of a restaurant.
- Define and recall the purchasing function.
- Recall the seven areas of a HACCP plan.
- Be prepared to transfer a core curriculum to an accredited, four-year college or university with junior class standing in Culinary Arts or a related major.