The Associate Degree in Liberal Arts is designed for students who wish a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences plus additional coursework in an “Area of Emphasis”. An area of emphasis is ideal for students planning to transfer to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC). Students can satisfy required general education requirements, plus focus on transferable course work that relates to majors at CSU or UC. Students are advised to consult with a counselor for specific information regarding choice of major and transfer university. Students may obtain an Associate of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts by completing a minimum of 60 semester units as outlined below.
It is recommended that students complete either the IGETC or the CSU-GE for the general education pattern related to their educational goal. Students are also strongly advised to consult with a counselor relative to required courses for the selected option.
For either the IGETC or CSUGE option, 39-48 units of general education are required.
- Complete 18 units in one “Area of Emphasis” from those outlined below. For depth of study, a minimum of two courses in one discipline is required. (Note: Where appropriate, courses in the “Area of Emphasis” may also be counted for Associate Degree Option #1 or #2.)
- For all options, complete necessary SBVC graduation and proficiency requirements (Refer to page 36 in the SBVC catalog).
- All classes listed below transfer to CSU. Courses in BOLD are transferable to UC. Refer to www.assist.org for transfer details.
- Courses that include a symbol X in the number such as MUS 141X2 indicate the course may be taken two times for credit. Students may apply each course with a symbol X only one time toward graduation requirements.
- For students pursuing multiple areas of emphasis, each course can be counted in one area only.