Communication Studies Associate of Arts Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) in Communication Studies encourages student to examine and evaluate human communication across and within various contexts for the purpose of increasing communication competence.
The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor's degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
To earn a Communication Studies AA-T degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- completion of the following major requirements with grades of C or better;
- completion of a minimum of 60 CSU transferable semester units with a grade point average of at least 2.0; and
- certified completion of the CSU General Education-Breadth (CSU GE) or Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for CSU, which requires a minimum of 37-39 units.
It is highly recommended that students complete courses that satisfy the U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals requirement as part of CSUGE or IGETC before transferring to a CSU. Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution and major in Communication Studies should consult with a counselor regarding the transfer process and lower division requirements.
|Required Core Course|
|COMMST 100||Elements of Public Speaking||3|
|or COMMST 100H||Elements of Public Speaking - Honors|
|List A - Select two of the following:||6|
|COMMST 111||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COMMST 125||Critical Thinking Through Argumentation and Debate||3|
|COMMST 140||Small Group Communication||3|
|List B - Select two of the following (or any course not used from List A):||6-7|
|COMMST 135||Mass Media and Society||3|
|COMMST 174||Intercultural Communication||3|
|ENGL 102||Intermediate Composition and Critical Thinking||4|
|or ENGL 102H||Intermediate Composition and Critical Thinking - Honors|
|List C - Select one of the following or any course not used from List A or B:|
|COMMST 176||Gender Differences in Communication||3|
|ENGL 151||Freshman Composition and Literature||3|
|PSYCH 100||General Psychology||3|
|or PSYCH 100H||General Psychology - Honors|
|SOC 100||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|or SOC 100H||Introduction to Sociology - Honors|
|General Education (CSU-GE or IGETC) Units||37-39|
|Elective (CSU Transferable) Units||16-18|
See Section on Degree, Certificate, and Transfer Information for additional information on the Associate Degrees for Transfer.
To earn an SBVC Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) students must complete one of the following general education patterns:
Program Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of various forms of human communication evaluated by written or oral assessments
- Assess situations and identify the appropriate communication skills to utilize according to the context they are in, which will be evaluated by written or objective assessments