Academic Renewal

Students may petition to have their academic record reviewed for academic renewal of substandard academic performance, which is not reflective of their demonstrated ability under the following conditions:

  • Students may petition to have eliminated from the computation of the total grade point average any units and credits taken during not more than two consecutive terms of attendance, excluding Summer Session, at any college within the San Bernardino Community College District.
  • Students must have achieved a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all coursework completed subsequent to the semester(s) requested in the petition.
  • Students must complete a minimum of twenty-four semester units subsequent to the semester(s) requested in the petition, at any accredited college.
  • At least two-semesters must have elapsed from the time the course work to be removed was completed.
  • A student may not petition for academic renewal under this procedure more than one time per college.
  • Up to thirty units of course work may be eliminated from consideration in the cumulative grade point average per college.

Academic renewal actions are irreversible. Institutional action taken under this procedure will not remove the courses, units, grades, or any other information from the student's permanent record. When academic renewal procedures permit previously recorded substandard course work to be disregarded in the computation of grade point averages, the permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.

Academic renewal procedures will not prevent the student from retaking the course in a subsequent semester, if necessary, in accordance with course repeat policies or alter records of previous attempts of the same course.

Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District's obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor's ability to determine a student's final grade.

Students must file the Petition for Academic Renewal in the Admissions & Records Office at the respective college where the units were completed after meeting with a counselor. The determination of eligibility will be decided by the Director of Admissions & Records, or their designee.

In accordance with Title IV, all units approved or denied for Academic Renewal shall be included in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation and shall be considered when determining financial aid eligibility.