After completing the orientation, students must also complete the Guided Self-Placement process for placement into transfer level English, Reading and Math or ESL (English as a Second Language). To schedule an appointment, go to: https://esars.sbccd.org/V_AssessmentCtr/eSARS.asp?WCI=Init&WCE=Settings
SBVC uses a Guided Self-Placement questionnaire in place of assessment. The questionnaire is primarily used to assist students in the following:
- Identify skill levels in English, Reading, and Math.
- Meet class prerequisite requirements.
- Choose appropriate classes.
- Develop student educational plan.
Please report at least fifteen minutes early on the assessment date chosen. Bring the appointment card as well as a photo ID (driver’s license or school ID) and your SBVC ID number. New students must bring an orientation completion certificate at time of test.
- New students are required to meet with a counselor for an education plan prior to registering for classes. Visit the Counseling Center for more information.
Students may be exempt from assessment:
Students may be exempt from the Guided Self-Placement questionnaire/assessment if they:
- Received a grade of “C” or better in a prerequisite English course at the college level.
- Received a grade of “C” or better in a prerequisite Math course at the college level.
Students may be exempt from completing the Guided Self-Placement questionnaire/assessment if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Associate Degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university;
- An earned score of 3.0 or higher in Advanced Placement Tests in English and math;
- Enroll in courses to achieve or maintain certificate or license requirements which do not require math, reading, or English prerequisites;
- Enroll in courses for personal enrichment, which do not require Math, Reading, or English prerequisites. A maximum of 12 units may be taken prior to Assessment.
For the determination of your exemption, please go to the Counseling Center.