Discharged Members of the Armed Forces

A student who was a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in California on active duty for more than one year immediately prior to being discharged shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition for up to one year if he or she files an affidavit with the community college stating they intend to establish residency in California as soon as possible. This one-year exemption shall be used while the student lives in this state and within two years of being discharged (effective January 1, 2013, AB 2478 amended Education Code Section 68075.5 to give the student two years to start the one-year exemption period as the student may need to temporarily to return to their home state after discharge and may not be able to immediately start their education in California). A former member of the armed forces of the United States who received a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge shall not be eligible for this exemption.